First Really Wild West Session — After-Action Report (Part 2)
Apparently there REALLY IS a big demand to hear more about my first session of “Really Wild West: Doomstone.” You can read Part One (which covers the first fight on a train) here, and may find some useful context from the campaign notes I developed from this session.
After the fight, the PCs introduce themselves, and compare notes.
- According to the Transit and Portage Guild’s bylaws, since the PCs were instrumental in defending Old Number Seven, they have the right to a payment from the train. The acting conductor (the halfling porter) offers them a cut of the valuables from the robbers, or passes for free rides any associated vehicle in perpetuity (the end date on the passes is officially “Kingdom Come.” Every PC decides to take lifetime free travel.
- The soldier/mystic says he’s gonna talk to Vardalos, the dead Kasatha. PCs all follow, The soldier/mystic casts “grave words,” and the corpse says the following:
- Stormfront rolling
- The grass is all blue
- The venom king has returned – the signet ring
- My manticore gang – on the revolvers
- All is lost
- The teacup is in the meadow
- One of the Fonts & Bismark agents confirms a theory of the centaur paladin that the robbers wanted to send the train over the cliff and recover the item from the bottom of the gorge.
- The soldier/mystic goes to see Vardalos’ *very* strict and loyal pony, which he can talk to. Discover’s the pny’s training means it accepts help from and takes orders from only who its owner approves. It’s owner is now dead, but the owner had allowed the porter to feed it, so it takes orders from the porter. No PC or the porter wanting the pony, it’s decided to give it to the nice Moyer family (1 father and 5 kids, headed to a farm owned by the father’s sister, in Kansas for a fresh start. The mother died during the War, and the father need help raising the kids).
- The mechanic roboticist helps with the bridge – cuts the repair time in half
PCs arrive in beautiful Cheyenne – which was sacked by Martians.\Is the state capital… but the state and its capital are a mess. Notes about the city:
- Opera house biggest building left in town, serves as city hall for now.
- The Tivoli building is almost finished as new construction. It is a Pabst beer distribution center, and has “Mr. Satin’s Satin’s House of Refined Delights (an all-race, all-gender brothel) on the second floor.
- There is a cheap, reliable Cheyenne Citizen Hostel
- Also some homes that will let a room
The Fenrin Bounty Hunter checks on new Bounties:
- Chimera Kid is now worth 650c as of yesterday
- Bounty for “That Goddamn Manticore” 1000c posted by Ranch Master Dwargus Hardfist (a dwarf), go to the Circle Axe Ranch for more information
- This place is crawling with bounty hunters, assassins, guns fire hire, bodyguards, ugh-me-toughs
- Why? No clue.
- Old Blue (a fenrin bloodhound on the sheriff’s porch) says a “Year and a day” ends in a couple of weeks
- Records house burned to the ground, lots of people died, so there is a lot of land no one knows who owns it. It was decided you can lay claim to land it and if no one has a better claim within a year and a day, it’s yours. Those first year-and-a-day claims come up in a few weeks, and everyone is expecting there to be some trouble over it.
The PCs are invited to a meeting with Fonts & Bismark Station Master Ralston Adler (who turns out to be in a wheelchain) at 5pm, to discuss the mysterious package the bandits tried to steal.
- The Item is being held for a client who’s coming to get it (no details on who or when available). The item is a Martian crystal (tripod’s power core)
- Nineteen duplicates were shipped at the same time for security. Eight were attacked
- About the scrap of paper
- The handwriting appears to be that of one Felspark Klein – elf woman Regional Director for East Hudson Fur Trading Co. She is new to the position (her predecessor died choking on a chicken bone).
- She is staying at Vicious Hippogryph Ranch, adjacent to Circle Axe
- Significant disagreement about who owns what plots of land
- Biggest area of dispute has all the water
- Adler agrees to get the PCs a copy of an excellent map of that area (+4 to know where we are)
- Adler also knows that Dwargus hardfist of the Circle Axe has been claiming for months that a Manticore is loose in Wyomingn and feeding on ONLY his cattle
PCs decide to go check it out. They will wait until the map is ready before they take off to see about this manticore, and checkout Felspark Klein.
Fonts & Bismark agrees to equip the PCs with horses and supplies. Also note that a couple of other people are asking about these events, and if Adler is convinced they are assets, he’ll diect them to the PCs in the morning to see if the PCs want to join up with them.
End of game. XPs: 650 per PC.
Want me t keep people updated about future game sessions? Want something else? Pathfinder 1st-edition content? Would you rather see more material for 5e, or industry insider articles? Join my Patreon for a few bucks a month, and let me know!
Posted on July 29, 2020, in Adventure Design, Adventure Sketch, Anachronistic Adventurers, Microsetting and tagged Doomstone, Game Session Notes, Gamemastering Advice, gaming, Geekery, Really Wild West, Starfinder. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.