Really Wild West “Doomstone” Campaign — After-Action Report (Game Session 7, part 2)
Continuing the after-action report for Session Seven of the Really Wild West: Doomstone campaign. The Knight rangers have headed out in their converted Martian Excavationg Machine, now known as The Armadillo, to the Montana city of Hellgate as part of their quest to find and defeat Professor Barkane Adrameliche, who has become the darkling Lord, the Venom King.
Notes adapted from the notes of my wife Lj, a player in the game, and told from her point of view.
>>Campaign Day 31
· About an hour after we set out, we see Waterlily (a ranch hand from the Circle Axe Ranch) riding up behind us
· We pull over and she hands us a large, fancy, international letter that arrived right after the Knight Rangers left the Circle Axe.
o Formal Eastern European letter
o Carries appreciation and amazement at our accomplishments from Princess Allegra Gullveig of Stythencia (a tiny Tiefling City-state in Eastern Europe in the Carpathian Mts. near Transylvania).
o She wrote and sent it, referring to the Knight Rangers by name, about six hours after we decided on our group name. Info doesn;t travel that fast without magic.
Camping first night, spot a glow-in-the-dark figure on a horse coming toward the camp. Skeletal man in law officer duds, with a badge that says he is “Deputy D. Nails.” His horse is bandaged like a mummy and has a necklace of severed heads. As the figure approaches it gets cold and snow begins to fall – not cloudy
· The heads – there are at least three – are from men who fled when the Knight rangers attacks the Venom King’s forces at Neblin Hill.
· He says he’s taking over after Deputy B. Hill was recalled. He’s hunting the grave jumper (Venom King).
· We trade information. The Knight Rangers learn the Prof. has split himself in to two – flesh and bone – but they’re right next to each other. He’ll be at full strength in 180 days from tonight if not stopped – he needs a specific conjunction to accomplish this so it cannot be rushed. His vulnerability is the metal from coffin nails, not silver or cold iron, that have been used to keep bodies in the ground.
· If the Venom King isn’t brought down soon, “the Marshall” will come down to earth personally and get him.
· Deputy Nails heads away toward Montana
Campaign Day 32
· Pass through Rollings, WY
· Get to Rock Springs, WY
o Stop here to camp and resupply
· Eden, Farson, Boulder, and Pinedale, WY – all of which are wrecks – wiped out during the WotW
· Stop at a battlefield on our path – the centaur paladin stops to honor the dead
· Come to a pass through the mountains – gorgeous
· Stop in Hoeback
Day 35 (fifth travel day – May 5th)
· Idaho Falls, far eastern Idaho – decent sized town
· Bear River too deep to cross in the Armadillo
· Use the cattle bridge and end up in the edge of town
· A crowd gathers, looking at the amazing converted Martian tech. Begin to cheer, because they think the Knight Rangers took it from the Martians
· Cartographothurge Technomancer gets off to resupply
· Centaur paladin gets on the train station platform and tells a tale of defeating the forces of the Venom King’s snakeperson allies, who are quickly dubbed “the Scorpion Gang.” Though she tells the tale accurately, the crowd is already making it bigger that she tells
· We head out five miles from town to camp
· A handful of horsemen come out to us – five
o Three young men, one older man, and a middle-aged woman
o Professor Virgil, and students from the Eastern Idaho Technical College
o They want to ask about the Armadillo
o They brought us potatoes au gratino They talk to the technomancer roboticist, talking to dawn and learning from her. Invite her to come lecture whenever she likes
Campaign Day 36, which is determiend to be May 6th
· Around noon, we spot a herd of brontosauruses.
· We slow down and drive by at a safe distance
· Soldier outlaw with DaVinci wings goes out and flies over them – sees the babies
· The technomancer sketches his heart out
Later that day, the Knight rangers reach Rexburg, and head to the nearby shield volcano to visit Bo Hoss’s family.<<
What do they find!? We’ll discover that tomorrow, in part 3!
Want me to keep people updated about future game sessions? Want something else? Pathfinder 1st-edition content? Would you rather see more material for 5e, or industry insider articles? Join my Patreon for a few bucks a month, and let me know!
Posted on December 1, 2020, in Adventure Design, Adventure Sketch, Microsetting, Starfinder Development and tagged Doomstone, Game Session Notes, gaming, Geekery, Really Wild West, Starfinder. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.
Pingback: Really Wild West “Doomstone” Campaign — After-Action Report (Game Session 8, part 1) | Owen K.C. Stephens